As State Treasurer, Clint has focused on three key issues:
- Growing our economy and putting Missourians back to work.
- Running an efficient, fiscally responsible office that gets more for our tax
- Improving access to quality education and helping families save for college.
You can also read what others are saying about Clint's record as Missouri Treasurer.
Growing our economy and putting Missourians back to work.
- Streamlined and bolstered the Missouri Linked Deposit Program for small
businesses and farms.
- Achieved 10-year highs in lending.
- Invested more than $650 million in Missouri small businesses and
- 10,000 plus jobs and farms directly impacted.
- Nearly tripled the network of participating lenders.
- Eliminated red tape that reduced loan turnaround times by two-
- Eliminated hurdles for Missouri farms, ensuring that 99% of all farms
in the state have access to low-cost capital.
- Made the lending program available on an emergency 24-hour
turnaround time basis to communities impacted by natural disaster.
- No credit risk taken by the state in any of the loans.
- For the first time in more than 50 years, Missouri is earning a fair interest rate on Missouri’s $3.6 billion deposit portfolio.
- When Clint took office, Missouri was one of only two states in the
nation who were not earning a competitive interest rate.
- Returned $1.7 million on deposits.
- Prior to the change, the State Treasurer had a disincentive to invest
more of its deposit portfolio in the state. As a result of the change,
Clint has already reinvested more than $1.5 billion back into Missouri
- Clint worked with Democrats and Republicans to unanimously
pass Invest In Missouri, the legislation that allows Clint to earn a
- Secured the relocation of a Fortune 500 subsidiary to downtown Kansas City,
bringing more than 80 high-skilled jobs.
Running a fiscally responsible office that stretches tax dollars further
- Clint’s number one priority as State Treasurer is protecting Missouri’s
investments. Clint’s steady leadership through a volatile economy ensures that
Missouri’s fiscal health is sound.
- Missouri has earned a AAA bond rating, one of only 8 states in the nation to
receive the highest possible rating from all three major rating agencies. This
ensures tax dollars go further and that Missouri is making promises we can keep
- Protected and managed Missouri’s $23 billion investment portfolio
- As guardian of more than $600 million in Unclaimed Property, Clint has returned
more than $80 million to more than a quarter of a million Missourians.
- By streamlining the process, Clint reduced Unclaimed Property return times by
half, from 43 days to 20 days.
- Achieved all-time highs for returning more Unclaimed Property to more
- Passed legislation and partnered with veterans organizations to ensure that
military medals received as Unclaimed Property will never be auctioned off.
- Worked to get more done with fewer resources. Clint has cut spending in his
office every single year.
- Significantly increased transparency by making information about Missouri’s
investments and finances and pension payout information available online for
free for the first time.
- Four days after taking the oath of office, Clint set the tone for a more transparent state government by disclosing that Bernie Madoff had victimized the state’s pension fund. Previously disclosed only in closed meetings, Clint wasted no time in bringing the issue to light because it’s our money and it’s his responsibility to protect taxpayers.
Improving access to quality education and helping families save for college
- Clint was the first member of his family to attend college. He understands how critical access to quality, affordable higher education is to Missouri’s future.
- As State Treasurer, Clint leads MOST, the state’s 529 college savings plan.
- When Clint took office, Missouri’s plan cost too much. Thanks to changes Clint made, MOST is now the 5th lowest cost 529 college savings plans in the country. The cost of the plan decreased by 44% thanks to Clint.
- For the first time in the plan’s history, Clint has secured $500,000 investment from the private sector to provide matching grants to low and middle-income families that are saving for a child’s higher education.
- Under Clint’s watch, asset levels for MOST are at an all-time high, which means more families are saving more money for college than ever. 130,000 families have saved $1.5 billion for higher education.
- Clint developed Missouri Promise, legislation that expands the A+ Schools Program to all Missouri high schools and guarantees any student a 4-year degree if she or he gets good grades and performs community service. This kind of investment is crucial to creating an educated, highly skilled work force that is vital to Missouri's long-term ability to become leader in the Midwest.
What Others Are Saying